Welcome
Welcome to deadhorseinterchangeable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload kahntent, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days

Re: What are you playing?

Postby justmebro » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Without making walls of text I say from what I seen and read it's basically a mesh of ideas that doesn't really do much. If you just want an even faster Dark Souls than DaS 3 and don't mind some ******** because we can't be asked to learn from other developers mistakes even if we copy their games then this is the game for you :lol:

At one point people surely have to get tired of circling behind enemies backs...

Salt & Sanctuary at least changed things somewhat drastically by making it 2D for a "Souls Like" game and overall it has it's own vibe. At this point the only people that consumed all of these mcdonalds games and continue to do so are those desperate Dark Souls kahntent creators :lol:

I would be shocked if EpicNameBro didn't name his child after some ingame NPC in Dark Souls :lol:

justmebro

Postby rabidtictac » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:37 am

So let's talk about some pretty dope old games.

I've been playing some old arcade games and beat em ups (the best dead genre), and they're great. Like Streets of Rage. I think I like SoR 3 the best, but the 2nd one is the one most people prefer. What a shame you can only get these games in the ULTIMATE Genesis collection. The other genesis collection packages don't have it.

What can one say about the legendary Final Fight? Brilliant. Hard as ****. I recently beat this one on a collection package for the PSP. Can't brag about it though, because the game gives you infinite continues. It'd be impossible without them, at least for me. I think the final levels for Final Fight are some of the hardest levels I've ever seen in a video game.

More Capcom goodness here. This game (Knights of the Round) was my childhood. I played this in the arcades and about flipped my sh it when I realized there was a home SNES version.

But why am I shitposting? Because I WAS WROOOONNNNGGG.

I used to think Golden Axe was shitty. But it's actually great. More specifically Golden Axe 2 and especially Golden Axe 3. These games are so  fucking old, but they absolutely nail **** which other brawlers failed to get right.

The visuals are simple, but in Golden Axe 3 especially, you have ALL the tools. You can run. You can do jump attacks. You have a few different interrupt attacks. You can block. You can throw. You have magic to nuke the screen. The move list is actually quite massive for a brawler, and these games came out in that 1989-93 time span.

I was surprised how good Golden Axe 3 is. If you look at reviews for it online, they're pretty negative. But the game is baller as ****. You got all kinds of sick moves and the difficulty hits that nice balance where it can be pretty challenging (compared to non-beat em ups) while still hitting the easier side of the arcade quarter-muncher genre.

The graphics are bad, but why would they be good? This wasn't an arcade perfect game by SNK.
Kugelfisch wrote:The true mark of all  shit people on this planet is not being able to handle the banter.
rabidtictac
Supreme Shitposter

Postby banU2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:11 am

They were also MEGA Drive ported games you fffffffffffffffffffuck. :lol:

All this arcade goodness is amazing, though best Final Fight in terms of kahntent is arguably the GBA version with the alt costumes, updated Alpha-style graphic fidelity and more fluid animation.

SoR3 is a tie between 2 IMO, it's the whole DMC3 vs 4 arguement, one has a tighter package while the other is just far better combat but the rest suffer a bit.

Knights of the Round I haven't played other equally gud Arcade / Arcade Capcom games are arguably the best version of Alien Vs Predator with Cyborg Arnie :

And nobody can forget the Original Dynasty Warriors aka Dynasty Wars aka Tenchi wo Kurau II :

But Capcom goodness doesn't end there, we have many other arcade games to indulge into(spergeblog another time about Armoured Warriors, Warzard, Strider 1, that one cyborg arcade game etc) but one game stands to me when we're talking about their 16bit to PSX period and that is Strider 2, completely blowing Strider out of the  fucking water and destroying any other arcade platformer-action game at the time :

**** Strider 2014, Strider 2 is the absolute ****. 8-) Last time I played it I managed to memorize the first stage but mastery like in the video requires immense dedication.

But, even Strider 2 found a worthy opponent when it came to SEGA's PS2 games, that was trully SEGA's golden period, with underground, unapreciated games like Shinobi aka best action puzzle game ever aka Trickster before Trickster was a thing :

the Gungraves aka Gunslinger before Gunslinger was a thing :

and finally Blood Will Tell for being amazing all around :

As for older SEGA games, the Mega Drive collection on the PSP is breddy gud as a deal.
Assiman wrote:Guess who else is never wrong? Ban.

poonoo wrote:Looks like you got ban'd.

Spoiler:
banU2

Postby Kugelfisch » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:20 am

Streets of Rage 2 is always the first game I put on and play on any emulation device I get. Playing as Max, of course, because I prefer the slow and hard-hitting archetype in every game that has it.
I can't say much about the other games. I've played Knights of the Round, Final Fight and Golden Axe but only for a very short time. I'll put them on the Pi and give them another go.
Support my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/JoeVargas
drisko wrote:I believe the kids call it a 'My Little Pony' or some such nonsense. From what little I've heard about them, they seem to be for young men to explore bestiality by putting their dicks in the toys.
Kugelfisch
Supreme Shitposter

Postby rabidtictac » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:34 am

Strider 2 is pretty sweet. I usually blow through it and get everything pretty fast, however.

Ban, I so badly want to play those arcade beat em ups that never got any kind of console port, like Aliens vs Predator, but I just never bothered to set up arcade emulation on any of my computers. The closest I got was some neo-geo **** so I could play metal slug online with other people.

Others, like Sengoku, are on my list to play.

The only thing I have against Golden Axe 3 is just bland visuals overall, but that's probably my hipstersperge talking from 2017. The character models look great when you consider it's a game from 1993 on a home console. The backgrounds are dull is all. Otherwise, 10/10 the more I play, the more fun it is.

Kugel, Golden Axe 1 feels very archaic compared to even something like Final Fight, although it did have dashing and dash attacks in 1989. I'd recommend starting off with the 2nd or 3rd game just because I think the gameplay feels better.
Kugelfisch wrote:The true mark of all  shit people on this planet is not being able to handle the banter.
rabidtictac
Supreme Shitposter

Postby banU2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:45 am

That was kinda of the objective, like with Cannon Dancer which has a DIO expy as a main character and created by the same man. They are very fast but only to those dedicated enough, probably the earliest speedrun games.

I think only MAME is the most stable and trustworthy emulator but last I played with it on my XP windows it was ok, haven't installed its newer versions on my laptop. I need to get back on that loop but my completion-autism doesn't let me whenever I play vidya.

Sengoku is the ****.

Spoiler:
banU2

Postby VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:14 am

Which Sengoku are we talking about? The old ones or the 3rd?

I only played Golden Axe 3 for a short bit, but I think it shook thinks up in a good way.
Speaking of beat-'em-ups with tools and stuff, how about Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara? You can block, you can even counter, there's a simple loot system, you have thrown items, you can charge your attacks, slide, and the spellcasters can nuke the screen and have utility powers.

Gungrave is dope.

And a version of Final Fight with Alpha graphics? Sweet.
VoiceOfReasonPast

Postby banU2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:44 am

Yup :

Ah the old DnD Capcom arcades, good times...if they ever brought them here, those ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuccccks. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I got to play obscure arcade **** not even the hardcore murkan crowd got, yet some obvious ones were strangely missing. :roll: I think the PS3 edition with both of them will be a sweet deal if the price drops a little.

All of them, even the first one was goddamn fun.

Spoiler:
banU2

Postby rabidtictac » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:37 am

Ban, that's  fucking sick as ****, brah. Look at that alpha Cody swagger. BTW the Sodom boss fight is such ********. : D His movements are 1000% input reading and invincible frames.

I haven't played Shadows over Mysterious Nerds or whatever it's called. I did play King of Dragons though. Pretty simplistic honestly, and it falls victim to the capcom beat 'em up trope of "spam magic/invincible attack to power through."

My favorite beat 'em up environment is definitely modern/city streets. Fantasy brawlers are fun and all, but it's a lot cooler to whip some punks with a bike chain or suplex some guy into the concrete so hard it sends his five buddies flying. :lol:

I mean, look at this awesome ****. "Andore" shows up like 50 times in the first Final Fight game. :lol: How many games let you beat up Michael Jackson and Andre the Giant alongside the street fighter alpha crew?
rabidtictac
Supreme Shitposter

Previous

Return to Gaming